Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thing #14

I'm finally learning to do all the things I wondered about in other blogs! I can hardly wait to start my scrapbooking blog now. Now on to #14...

The instructions for Bubbl.us were minimal and difficult to access through help; but by trial and error I figured out how to use it since I am familiar with that type of program. I enjoyed working with Bubbl.us to create the following for one of the units my students will be doing this year. However, I will most likely use Inspiration with them. It has better instructions, more options [adding graphics] and I know it well so I can teach them what they need to know. Here is the mind map I made with bubbl.us:





Since the flowchart.com link was broken as was the link from the cached page, I chose Gliffy to examine for my flowchart. Just from the picture I like Gliffy better because it uses traditional flow chart shapes with which I am very familiar. I used to teach computer literacy and elementary programming in which we created flow charts. I love using the concept especially with my students who have difficulty seeing the connections between ideas. It's particularly good for cause and effect. I would even use the correct flowchart shapes since they indicate a specific action. However probably not with Gliffy. [see paragraph below]

Another option with Gliffy is a floor plan. Here is the link to the floorplan I created:

http://www.gliffy.com/pubdoc/1456021/M.jpg

Although these tools were fun to use, I don't see me using them with my students since I have Inspiration. It will do this and much more with all the various options available. A few of the same options are available with these two programs, but not nearly as many. Plus, I have the detailed instructions for using Inspiration from the staff development which would be an advantage over two programs that have very little in the way of help or instructions.

I had fun playing, but I believe I'll stick with what I know and what has plenty of help at my fingertips if I need it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the clear review of Gliffy. We are glad to took some time to give it a try. We would appreciate knowing which features of Inspiration would be helpful to have in Gliffy (what type of help guide, what type of instruction, what guides/features). Thanks again, we appreciate your feedback. If you need any help getting your diagram to show within the blog, please let me know! Best,
debik at gliffy dot com