Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Thing #8

I'm so glad I'm not doing summer school!! I've been able to spend several hours the past two days catching up on our 23 Things. So far, Flickr is my favorite - well, the Flickr Tools, that is. I had so much fun playing that I almost forgot what I was supposed to be doing.

I tried out many of the tools listed, but my favorites are the Puzzlemaker [I am a jigsaw addict] and the Bead Art Maker. I love how the Magazine Cover looks, but I prefer using my scrapbooking programs where I can customize more. However, I've included the cover I did - I think it looks fantastic. One of my favorite Grand Canyon pictures makes a great jigsaw puzzle - just wish I could have it for real. I think there was an option for that. I'll have to go back and check. Finally, my favorite result was the Bead Art Maker. I had to decorate an old '70s VW bus for a scrapbooking challenge. I used flowers [ala the Partridge Family bus] then put it in the middle of a flower garden surrounded by trees in front of a real photo of a lake. It turned out fantastically with the Bead Maker. I have to find time to experiment with that again and again...

Here are the results of my "hard" work - hehe

I can definitely use Flickr and the tools for my personal use, especially with my family albums. I believe some of the tools could be used in the classroom as well. I can see using it to let the students create something then write about it. Creating illustrations for projects and papers would be a lot of fun for them and for me when I evaluate them.
Map Maker and Poster Maker could be used by the librarian, teacher and students. Without naming them all, I can see most of the Flickr Tools being used to stimulate writing, engaging students, encouraging reluctant readers and writers to attempt reading and writing. Who says learning cannot be fun? I found that if kiddos are having fun they are more likely to learn something and may not even be aware they are learning.
Now I've gotta get back to those Flickr Tools - some of them are calling my name... :)


No comments: