Sunday, July 6, 2008

Thing #18

I explored both MySpace and Facebook. I actually have a MySpace account already, but had never really checked it out. I opened it for the express purpose of keeping in touch with my grandson. He has an account and with our busy schedules I knew I could always correspond with him there. Other than that I've never used it. Here is the link to my profile page.
MySpace

I also signed up for a Facebook account since my niece uses it regularly and that is the best way to stay in touch with her. I just now sent a request to add her as a friend, but have not heard from her yet. Here is the link: Facebook

After examining both sites I decided I like MySpace best for its content and numerous options to customize the space. I prefer less clutter on Facebook, but it is limited as far as customizing it. Both sites disturbed me as far as the friend search. All a person has to do is type in a name and the sites bring up their list of subscribers with that name. I'm not sure how one could protect children from predators unless they are extremely careful to avoid disclosing personal information. It sort of bothers me that anyone could attempt to contact me!

My daughter-in-law closely monitors my grandson's site, and he's in high school! I truly believe that all parents of children under 18 should monitor their sites. As a parent we can never be too careful. It's too late after something dreadful has happened.

I'm really not crazy about using either but will check them to keep up with my grandson and niece. My network of friends are scrappers and genealogists [cousins who are researching our family] and we have our own websites that we frequent so another site to upkeep would be more time than I have to spare.

I believe it's important for educators to be familiar with these sites mainly to understand the new culture/community our students have created for themselves. If we gain access to their sites, and that is a BIG if, we can gain insight into how they think, their values, and their social lives. Like I said, that is a big if - it's not likely we will have that access unless we have already developed a trusting relationship with them. Fortuntely, some will think it's cool to have a teacher as a friend. :)

I'm not sure I see much value in using either sites with our students since we have the option of blogging, which seems to me much more personal and useful. I think the classroom blog will be of more benefit and certainly easier to customize to one's needs.

1 comment:

mmw said...

My niece and I keep in touch on MySpace too. That's about the only way I can get in touch with her. Her profile is set to private, though, so only people she has accepted as friends can see it.