Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Thing #7

I viewed all the information about Flickr and proceeded to open an account. It asked if I wanted to use the new name or the former one. I was a little confused but I clicked on the old one out of curiosity. Was I ever shocked to see photos of my students and various activities we did in class. My first thought was - those kids look just like some of mine! Then I discovered they were... :) Once again, I had an account at a website I had completely forgotten about!


Those photos are marked private for reasons of confidentiality; but the ones I uploaded today are for public viewing. I guess I must like Flickr - - since I've used it in the past. I also used Webshots, but it's just such a chore to keep up with everything. I usually copy all my photos to a DVD, then if something happens to the computer I still have them. In fact I'm in the process of scanning all my photos - hundreds and hundreds of them - into the computer and saving them to a disk. Many of my old photos are in the albums with the paper that sticks to the backing...not a good way to preserve them. I'm switching to photo sleeves as I scan. I may grow very old before it's all done.

I guess I don't really have a concern about making the photos public, at least not the ones of scenery. I may have second thoughts about the ones with identifiable people. I'll probably blur out the faces of underage subjects, maybe even adults. However, most of my photos would be for family and friends anyway so that probably won't be an issue.


As for using Flickr - yes, I believe I will use it. It's really easy to use and I like the way things can be organized and displayed for viewing by others. I can see that it will really be helpful to my students for saving illustrations they find for their papers, and locating pictures I have for them to view. I like to show them a photo or illustration or painting, then have them write about it. Sometimes they have to write descriptive phrases; sometimes what happened before or after the picture; sometimes just make up a story about the photo. Flickr would be a great tool for such projects.

I really can't compare Flickr with Webshots because it's been such a long time since I've used Webshots. As near as I can remember the process is basically the same. They are divided into albums with a place for captions, ability to email, etc. I did go back and look - had to search awhile to find where I wrote down the sign-in, but finally succeeded. I uploaded the last pictures in 2004!! So much for sharing files on the web...

Here are a couple of the photos I put on Flickr today. My sisters and I took my grandson to AZ last summer to see the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, Indian ruins, and lots more. We had such a great time! I told him he was a unique kid - 13 and vacationing with three old ladies [two of us teachers] and he actually had a great time! LOL Now to the pictures:

No comments: