Friday, July 4, 2008

Thing #17

So excited! This was the easiest one yet. I had to laugh when I saw it. I just completed the staff development on Social Bookmarking so I already have my del.icio.us account set up and a fairly decent size network in place.

This is one little tool that has made the biggest difference in my life! I have hundreds of bookmarks due to my scrapbooking and genealogy research, not to mention all the sites I use for school. I had to wade through all those sites to find one for which I wasn't sure I remembered the name correctly. Now, with the tags, it has become so much easier and quite a preserver of my sanity. What used to be innumerable bookmarks now become a handful. Plus, they actually have notes that tell me what that site is. Of course, I'm still in the process of transferring my bookmarks from my old program, but eventually I'll have them all in a manageable form and I will save soooo much time. Here is a screen shot of my list:



I love being able to see the sites my networking family bookmarked. That's how I found some really great websites that I can use. Reading the comments helps to identify the site, what kind of problems someone might have had or how wonderful they think it is and why.

I believe del.icio.us can be used quite successfully in a classroom or library. Our students are required to do a research project. Websites related to their general topic can be bookmarked and tagged in del.icio.us so the students can access the list, choose from the chosen/acceptable sites and do their research. It is a good way to monitor what sites the students are using if necessary, and saves them valuable time and frustration by having sites available to be considered.

I am really excited about del.icio.us. It will save me a lot of valuable time as well.

1 comment:

g said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.