Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thing #13

I chose to use Google Docs as my exploration vehicle. Since I already had all my other accounts with Google, I figured I might as well stay with it.

I was surprised to see how easy it was to do the spreadsheet. It's very similar to Excel - just not as sophisticated. I quickly set up a page with imaginary students including the information I would use if they were my real class. I had their names, current grade, current instructional level, type of TAKS they will take, and date of their next annual ARD meeting. For my students, this would be an excellent first step in learning spreadsheets. Here is the link to the spreadsheet:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pkYVfDoi5TtxpToH_qm-qWA

Next, I went to the Presentation tool and set up a very simple two page presentation using some of my scrapbook pages. Again, it was pretty simple to use and I love the ability to publish to the web. My students could use this to create projects based on what they are studying.

Finally, I experimented with the word processor. It's very simple, much like Microsoft Word. It would be a good program for my students to use; I wouldn't use it for most documents. There were only a few font choices, none of my favorites.

However, I might use it in connection with lessons or instructions for my classes. But for my students' writing needs, it would be fine. I do like the option of publishing it to a web page and being able to share it with others, something my students could do for an assignment.

All in all I like the options for Google Docs and see the potential for use in my classroom.

No comments: